There are times in life when things have to be “right”.
No spelling or grammatical mistakes in CVs or covering letters for job applications.
Or in really important documents (eg briefings to the Chief Executive).
But actually, the times where there is zero tolerance to mistakes of detail is actually smaller than you think.
And instead, excessive attention to detail can actually result in negative outcomes, for two reasons: procrastination, and perfectionism.
So why can this behaviour result in negative outcomes, and what can you choose to do instead?
The fear of having to get something “right” can mean you never get started.
This is the worst of all possible worlds.
Paralysis creeps in, and you spend your time doing anything else rather than the task at hand.
(Never has creating new files in your inbox been more appealing…)
Or you end up doing just one more bit more research, before you get started.
(I read a great phrase the other day: "procrasti-learning". On other words, spending your time endlessly researching rather than actually getting on with the task…)
Or you spend hours putting off finishing something - because you don’t believe you will ever be able to get it “right”.
All of these are forms of procrastination; and all of them mean nothing gets done.
So many of us experience perfectionism.
It is the need to be perfect, to be seen to be perfect, or to produce perfect results.
On the face of it, producing perfect results sounds great - who wouldn’t want that?
But of course, in striving for perfection, you get stuck - and you get stressed.
Perfectionism is what leads you to read a document for the thirtieth time, to check AGAIN that every dot and comma is in the right place.
This can not only mean submitting things late, because you’re too anxious about whether it’s perfect.
It is also a colossal opportunity cost.
How much better is that document really going to be, if you read it for the thirtieth time (or even the fifth)?
And what else could you be doing with that time that could be more useful?
And the pressure you put yourself under will be dragging you down, eating away at your energy levels, and damaging your health.
For the sake of possibly spotting an errant comma…
So, excessive attention to detail can mean:
nothing is ever started, finished, or achieved
time is wasted which could be better spent on other things
you find yourself excessively stressed.
So what is the solution?
There are three key principles that will help with excessive attention to detail.
1. “Good enough”
I first came across the concept of “good enough” from the paediatrician Donald Winnicott in relation to the “Good Enough Mother”.
His theory was that it is better for a baby’s emotional and cognitive development if the mother is “good enough” rather than “perfect”.
In other words, if she basically loves and cares for her baby well, but doesn’t always get it right 100% of the time.
The same is true for work!
It is much better for YOUR emotional and cognitive state if you focus on being “good enough”, and not “perfect”.
Otherwise you are creating a huge stick to beat yourself up with.
Imagine the worst boss you’ve ever had: someone critical, demanding, and unsympathetic.
That is what you are being to yourself, if you demand that you are “perfect” rather than “good enough”.
Imagine instead how you would like to behave as a boss: someone who is clear and expects good results - but isn’t unreasonable, cruel, or excessively demanding.
You can treat yourself in the same way.
Imagine how much better you would feel about work, and about yourself, if the standard you set for yourself is “good enough” and not “perfect”.
2. The Pareto Principle
The Pareto Principle is otherwise known as the 80/20 Rule: 80% of your results will derive from 20% of your actions.
So concentrate on making that 20% as good as it can be.
Spend your time, your energy and your focus there.
And that means you can spend less time and energy on the rest of the 80%…
There you have two constructs that can help you move past the unhelpful ramifications of excessive attention to detail.
Finally, it is always worth remembering that action is better than inaction!
And progress is better than perfection.
You will never achieve results if you are too paralysed by procrastination and perfectionism to ever start, or finish anything.
So sometimes, you need to “feel the fear and do it anyway” - or as they saying goes, Just Do It.
p.s. for help succeeding without perfectionism, get in touch to arrange a free chat about how I can help: email@example.com
Things to do and consider
Watch out for words like “should”, “must”, “ought to” or “need to” - these all indicate a critical voice that is driving you towards perfection. Instead, use words like “I choose; I can; I would like; I will”.
Consider your work portfolio. Which is the 20% that gives you the best results? What can you do to make that as good as it can be - and what can you do to focus less on the remaining 80%?